Monday 2 March 2015

Creative Blog Hop

Hello!  My A Blog Named Hero teammate, Mateja (from A Pocketful of Stamps) has nominated me to participate in a Creative Blog Hop.  I did a similar blog hop last year (HERE), but this one has slightly different questions. So, lets jump right in! 

1.  What are you working on now?
I'm making a card for a guest design spot that you'll see very soon - stay tuned!  (hint - I won a challenge last week at this blog!) I also need to make a special birthday card for a friend who is turning 50 next week - lots of glitter and bling on that one!
I've been using a lot of stencils recently - here's a card I made in January using a Hero Arts stencil that has become a firm favourite of mine. 

2.  How does your work differ from others in your genre?

Hmm, this is tricky, because I don't always stick to the same style! I think my style is mostly CAS with occasional diversions into other styles. I try to make my cards clean, balanced, clear and not fussy. I'm usually not very good at layers, and I'm not very good at using my huge stash of patterned papers! I'm also very late to adopt trends - mostly because I hoard things, and am running out of room for new stuff, and if I'm going to go with a new trend that requires new stuff, I need to REALLY know I'm going to use it before I buy it!
I think this card that I made last year is a good indication of my style, for a number of reasons: there's a rainbow of colour, it's airy with a fair bit of white space, there's a clear and easy to read sentiment, and it's asymmetrical. 

3.  Why do your create what you do?

I make cards for a lot of reasons. I love making cards that are personalised, so that they are a specific gift to the recipient, like in these cards I made recently:



I have done a lot of other crafty things over the years, but I like cardmaking because I'm impatient, and it's a small canvas!  Also, I like the fact that, if I stuff up, it's usually just a piece of cardstock that gets thrown away.

4. How does your creative process work?

 My creative process is a mystery. I can sometimes start with an idea and pull out stamps, inks, papers and colouring tools, and end up with a card that uses NONE of the products I started with!  It's very rare for me to start with an idea and come up with a card that matches my idea perfectly (it has happened, but not often!) But, nowadays, I often start with a codeword or a theme or a photo inspiration from one of the blog design teams I belong to, and have to get a card done to fit the brief.  I look at the theme, I think of what I need to use (or what's in my stash that would fit the card) and go from there.

Now, I'd like to nominate two cardmakers whose work I admire -Jeanne Jachna and Amy Tsuruta - these ladies are both teammates of mine at Fusion card challenge, but they have very differnt styles!  I can't wait to read their posts next week!

Thansk for visiting - and thanks to Mateja for nominating me! :)

4 comments:

  1. It really is nice to find out a little bit about your favorite blogger and seeing some of your favorite tips/techniques. I have another question for you - on Jan. 29, 2015 you created a beautiful birthday card using shadow inks and Versamark. Would you be king enough to tell me what stamp you used, it is beautiful and I'd like to have it to copy your technique. You can email me at kf4116@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :) Thank you for doing it. I love getting to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it was so nice to read this Michelle! I love learning a little more about you and how you create so many beautiful things! I agree with you on so many things.. so hard to pin down a specific "Style" but your samples are wonderful and show everything I love about your designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your work Michelle! Thrilled that you've asked me to join in the fun with Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they always make my day!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) in the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.